Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Skyrim: The ruiner of Relationships, or Being a Gamer's Girlfriend

I want to dedicate this post to ALL the girlfriends of gamers out there.  You know, the ladies who sit on the other end of the couch (or another couch alltogether) while their significant other is playing Mass Effect, or the lady who is impatiently waiting at a table for two while her boyfriend is just finishing that last quest, or the woman who goes to bed at 12:30am because she has to work in the morning and has had her sexual advances turned down because her boyfriend was busy falling out of an airplane or assassinating some priest.

But really - what's a guy to do?  Or a GAL, in my case.  There are those couples where the guy is super into this stuff and the girl looks like that lady above being all like "Seriously John Smith....you prematurely ejaculated on purpose just to make it to your raid on time?", and then there are girls who are like me that think it's radical their dudes are into this stuff and aren't entirely foreign to the world of gaming, and then there are the girls who are SUPER into gaming and know a lot more than me because they've been gaming since they were fetuses.


That guy I date always tells me how awesome I am for a lot of reasons:  My taste in music is really great, I am super into comics/graphic novels (and you throw in a little fairy tale in there I'm HOOKED), I know the parts/engineering under the hood of my car and can also fix some of them myself, I can change a tire, and up until now, I idly sat by while he played video games and he was stoked that I wasn't ^ that girl.

But now I'm finding myself in a situation that a lot of guys are in.  MY girlfriends aren't understanding my recent obsession/possession of SKYRIM.  A girlfriend of mine called me last month before I started playing and I asked her about the guy she had been sleeping with:

Me: SO, how are things with whatshisname?
J: Oh ummm, I'm not sure, he hasn't called or texted me in like two weeks.
Me: What?! Why?
J: Well, the last time we hung out he went to the store and bought skyrim, then we went home, had sex, and I came home.  I haven't heard from him since.

SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE!??!?!!  I'm pretty sure that resonates with a few people entering into a new thing or whatever it is.  I also had another situation when I was out drinking with a guy friend I hadn't seen in a while:

Me: So Joe, What's new?
Joe: Not too much.
Joe's friend: HEY, is your girlfriend coming out tonight?
Joe: She's NOT my girlfriend.
Joe's friend: What do you MEAN she's not your girlfriend?  Any girl who sits on your couch and watches you play Skyrim is your girlfriend.

Point taken Joe's Friend....Point taken.

So basically, my whole POINT of this post is:  girls......just LET IT HAPPEN.  PLAY A LITTLE. OR, Read my Blog...because then you will at least know a little bit of what your boyfriend is talking about when he's like "That Haunted House in Markarth is BOGUS."  That and I'm really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment